I’ve recently noticed some people on here saying things about homeschoolers that are not true and I want to clear some things up:
- We are not anti-social or quiet
- Our parents do not treat us like we’re five
- We do have social lives
- We don’t spend that much time at home
- We don’t do schoolwork on weekends
- We have summer break
- We also have spring break, fall break, and winter break
- We don’t all homeschool for religious reasons. My family and I are Christians, but my parents didn’t start homeschooling me because of that.
- We don’t all use Christian curriculum. I am a Christian and I have used Christian curriculum before, but I have also used textbooks from public schools. My Biology book had a whole chapter about evolution in it.
- We do have prom, dances, and stuff like that
- Most of us aren’t geniuses who spend a lot of time on our education. I’m certainly not. There are some who are, but there really aren’t that many.
- We aren’t sheltered
- Pretty much any after school activity that there is for public school kids is available for homeschoolers in some way such as sports, theatre, etc.
- Most of us don’t spend that much time with our family
- We don’t watch G rated movies only. I saw my first R rated movie when I was 14 and have been watching them ever since.
- We pretty much watch the same TV shows and listen to the same music as everyone else.
- Yes, some of us have been to parties.
- We aren’t all religious
- We pretty much dress the same way as everyone else. We don’t walk around wearing long skirts and long sleeved shirts. I’ll admit it, some of the outfits that I have worn have gotten pretty close to being slutty. I’m not proud of that, I am just stating a fact.
- A lot of homeschool girls do wear make up and dye their hair. This includes myself.
- We really aren’t very uptight at all
- Most of us are not awkward around the opposite sex. I actually had to dance with a boy last month in my studio’s winter dance performance and it didn’t bother me at all. The guy I danced with was actually homeschooled too and there’s another homeschooled girl in my dance class who also had to dance with a guy. We were all completely comfortable with it.
- Most of us are allowed to date. I know other homeschoolers who have dated and the only reason that I haven’t is because no one will ask me out.
- Most of us also get our driver’s license
I think that’s pretty much everything I wanted to clear up. I am tired of people trying to act like homeschoolers are a bunch of uptight, awkward, anti-social, awkward weirdos.
- starcrossedwastelands likes this
- laceribbonsandpirouettes posted this
I am Amanda, I am in the US, I am 17, I am a homeschooled senior, I am a Christian, and I am a dancer. I take Ballet, Pointe, Jazz, and Lyrical but I've also done Tap and am interested in Ballroom. I plan on majoring in dance and opening my own dance studio someday. I am also interested in photography, contortion, animals, singing, acting, musical theatre, fashion, modeling, and cosmetics. You'll mainly find dance, theatre, animal, and fashion posts here, but I'll blog about anything that holds my attention for more than 2 seconds. I love talking to people so feel free to message me and/or send me asks! I'll pretty much talk to anyone.